Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday Feelings



It started with my husband being sent to the ER via ambulance from his office about three weeks ago; all tests came back fine (big sigh of relief).  Then one child got a stomach virus - we recovered from that.  Then one child's chronic neurological disorder had a flare up, we are still working through that.  While we are going through that, I started feeling very ill, and I found out I had Flu type A - I have finally recovered from that after a week and half.  Then one child has staph infection.  Then one child with another chronic condition has a flare up as well.  

Okay, let's all take a deep breath!



I believe it is needless to say that stress has been right on the forefront of my mind the past three weeks.  It was one of those times in life where you're not even waiting for the other shoe to fall, because both have fallen, smacked you in the stomach, and knocked the breath out of you!

However, on this side of it, mainly with me feeling better, I have realized some things.  

My husband and I are incredibly strong people.  We have been living life fully and graciously for years with children who have unique and special needs, and rarely do we ever let it get us down.  I like to remember the words that Horace Bushnell said: "The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and higher in inspiration his life will be."  Through our strength we are able to be strong for our children and pass on strength.  My husband and I have a saying "It is you and me baby, against the world." That is how we are, it is him and I, we were trusted with these beautiful little ones to parent and we do it with courage, grace, and strength.

Being a parent of children with unique and special needs is lonely, but you pick up friends along the way.  I have seen a deep transition in my friendships since becoming, accepting, and fighting as a special mom.  It is amazing when you are open about your struggles, how others flock to you who are in similar situations.  Generally when I am overwhelmed another mom who is in this same boat will lift me up and vice versa.  My children's therapists have become my friends; we are walking through this together.  I don't think this would be as "easy" (I use that term loosely) as it is without my husband being my partner in this life.

One can really survive with just orange juice, lysol, clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, and a lot of scripture.  I have not used so many clorox wipes or bottles of hand sanitizer as I did the past couple of weeks.  I felt like I was using garlic in Transylvania, trying to keep germs from spreading.  It worked, no one else in the family got the flu!

Today I am feeling relieved that we I am past the flu, seriously that stuff is no joke.  I am thankful for medicines and doctors.  Those are my feelings on this Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment