Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Strong Like Hulk!

Yesterday, I decided I would be an uber-healthy mom and make my children smoothies as an afternoon snack.  I found a good recipe, went and bought all the ingredients, in bulk, and hyped up the smoothie to my children all day!  

The recipe called for:



- 2 packed cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

I added all of the ingredients together and blended it until it made a nice green "Hulkish" color.




I told my sons that it would make them strong like Hulk!  We were doing "Hulk Smash" and my daughter was just excited about all of the excitement.

I gave my sons their smoothies and excitedly told them to drink it!  I waited for what I knew was going to be their Olvatine commercial faces....you know the faces that light up and the ask for more!  I was already mentally writing my blog and raves about how well my children loved it.  My four year old son took one big gulp and immediately declared "I don't want to be strong!!" and left the table and smoothie.  My seven year old son politely gagged it down amidst promises of ice cream if he would drink it all.  He decided ice cream was overrated.  However, my daughter, whom will throw vegetables at you if you try to give them to her took several big gulps before she threw the cup down.   


After my children's reactions I made my smoothie and took a big gulp.  I smiled and said how delicious it was while holding my breath and trying not to taste the smoothie.   I said I was full, a little fib, and poured the rest of the smoothie in the sink.  

It was a hard reality that I am not a kale-smoothie mom.   Today, we are going to try  strawberry, blueberry, and a little hidden kale smoothie and see how that goes over!

Mamas, if you're trying something new and it doesn't work the first time, revamp it and try, try, again!  You may be kale-smoothie mom or you may not be.  The deal is you are the best mom you can be.  It is fun to incorporate new ideas and recipes that other moms have tried and their children loved.  If you tried one and your children had a "I don't want to be strong" moment, it is okay.  Try something else.  Not every recipe works for every family and that's okay!  Have fun being a mommy and have fun trying new things.  Today's flops will be tomorrow's laughs!  You can do it mamas!

XOXO,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment