Saturday, June 22, 2013

It's Party Time!

Oh, birthday parties.  A rite of passage into motherhood.  From the first birthday party for the first child....the one that you rent everything you can for and go out of your way to have the whole shebang.  To the birthday parties that your child is telling you exactly what theme and who to invite to the party.  Birthday parties are a time of fun, laughing, and stress!

At the beginning of my birthday party journey, I literally had an itinerary printed out as to what activities would be when and I had RSVPs mandatory; if you did not RSVP your child did not get a coveted goodie bag.  Well, here I am today, just completed my thirteenth birthday party on this journey and I can say that I have loosened up.  Instead of planning the parties a year in advance, I usually take a couple weeks to plan it.  I don't pull out all stops any more.  I just relax and make sure the guests are having a good time.  We had our two year old's birthday party this weekend; and I can say I truly enjoyed myself.  I wasn't stressed at all.  I had a fun time.  And there was no itinerary!

As I was reflecting on the enjoyment of the party, here are some things I noted I did:

- Made the menu simple: finger food only.  We had pinwheels, fruit and cheese kabobs, a veggie tray, bottled water, and the cake.

- Started on time.  I did not wait for everyone on the invitation list to come, I started at the time the party was said to begin.

- Let the kids play.  I admit, when the birthday child ran outside in the muddy backyard, I got a little stressed.  After we took the pictures, all the kids had free reign in the backyard.

- No goodie bags.  Okay, brace yourself..  It is okay.  We had no goodie bags and nobody missed them.  Less stress for me and probably less stress for my friends, not having to say "no" to candy and gum!

- No games.  You may need to sit down for this one.  No goodie bags AND no games!!  There was no real organized activities at the party.

- Hung out and relaxed.  Yep, you read that right.  Me, the hostess, just relaxed.  I enjoyed myself and just had fun with my friends and family.

- Kept the guest list intimate.  I invited family and friends who are basically family.  At two years old, my child's friends are generally children of my friends.  I did not invite the entire nursery at church.  I did not invite based on wanting an invite to one of the other children's parties.  I invited based on relationships.  This may have been my sanity saver this year.  The people who came know me well, I did not have to "put on the dog", it was just friends hanging out.

If  you're planning the party of the year for your little darling, make sure it is a fun time for both the children and yourself.  Don't worry about what the Jones's are doing for their birthday parties, they are no fun to keep up with any way!  Don't stress!!!  Your child will remember the people who came....and probably the cake, more than they will remember pin the tail on the donkey or the double bubble gum in a goodie bag.  I have included some pictures from the birthday party so you can see how easy it can be!

Have fun during these times!  You can do it mama!!

XOXO,
Rebecca





No comments:

Post a Comment