Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Library Survival 101

We are library geeks.  There I said it.  For the past several months our local library was shut down due to a new library being built.  We would drive twenty miles to another library, just to read books and check them out.  We are proud library geeks!

Our summer reading program at our local library is in full swing....my excitement over this may be a tad inappropriate.  Growing up, libraries were a part of my childhood, it was exciting and awe inspiring to go the library.  Reading books opened new windows and doors for me, and it became my fast escape from the real world.  I want my children to develop a love for books and the library that follows them into adulthood, as mine has.

With my library geek-ism being explained, I can move forward!  Our library has an array of summer reading programs, we attend the preschool program in the morning and the elementary program in the afternoon.  Normally.  This morning was an epic fail.  After breakfast I declared it nap time for everyone, I didn't set my alarm, because there was NO WAY we would sleep two hours.  So, three and a half hours later, we woke up.  Boo hiss!  My mother of the year title may have been stripped today.  I decided to let my two older children attend the elementary program together this afternoon.  My youngest and I spent time with my Grandma at the library this afternoon.  When I was packing for our one hour program; our one hour of trying to keep a two year old library quiet, I realized over the past several years I have become a pretty great packer for these kind of trips. 

In the diaper bag there was:
- diapers
- wipes
- sippy cup
- cheerios (in a "spill proof" snack container)
- a toy car
- a tea cup
- a baby doll
- bracelets

Thankfully the people at my library understand that Wednesdays are kids days and are pretty accepting of the extra noise.  Here is the key, the mommy tip I will pass on to you:

Don't stress. 

Easy, huh?  Not really.  Learn patterns of your child and take note when your child starts to get antsy, have a game plan ahead of time to allow you and your child an opportunity to change tunes without screaming!  Don't pull out all your tricks at one time, try to hold off on your diaper bag goodies and allow the child to have fun looking at board books, playing with toys at the library, or coloring.  Take some deep breaths.  You are not at the library to prove to the other moms how awesome your toddler can be for an hour, you are at the library to have fun; to instill a love of reading and a love of the library.  Hold your child on your lap and read to them as much as they will let you.  If all else fails, find the bathroom and hide in there for a while until your child settles down....this is from experience, I may be an expert bathroom hider.  If you stay calm, your child will stay calm.  Your child takes from your cues. 

Have fun and teach your little ones that the library is for quiet, inside voices.  Teach them the adventure that awaits inside a book.  Let them experience the fun of the library!  You can do this mamas!

XOXO,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment