Monday, January 9, 2017

Plan To Eat

Let's talk a little bit about food and a lot about meal planning.

Having a husband, three children, and a busy life; meal planning isn't something that is a "one day" in my life. It is a necessity. If I don't take time each week to plan our meals (by meals I mean dinner) for the next seven days, mass chaos ensues. We will live on a rotation of frozen pizza, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, leftover pizza, cereal, and leftover pizza...do you see a theme here?

I make meal planning a priority, just as I make exercise, being everywhere at once, and coffee a priority. It takes time and it takes creativity to plan meals.

As I stated earlier; I plan dinners for a week. That is the basics; I plan a dinner six of the seven evenings, leaving one evening for leftovers. I usually make Thursdays leftover night, because for me Thursday is the longest and most difficult day of each week; and leftovers are pretty easy. I also plan lunch for each Saturday and Sunday; lunch may be leftovers or sandwiches, it is generally not a real taxing meal. This meal planning system is for when school is in session. During the summer and holiday breaks, I plan breakfast, lunch, and snacks for each day.

If you got past that last sentence without an eye roll or heart palpitations - pat yourself on the back. I'm not a supermom, I have slight OCD, and planning is relaxing for me. I have found benefits for meal planning; and the weeks I neglect meal planning, I feel the consequences.

The benefits I have found include:

• Saving Money - taking time to write down each ingredient needed for recipes, checking what is in the cabinets and fridge, and sticking with one or two meats a week allows for savings. I don't walk up and down the aisles picking up items I "might" need, but stick with what is needed and in turn save money. I have found the weeks I meal plan versus the weeks I don't meal plan there is a forty to sixty dollar difference in our grocery bill.

•Save Time - I can compartmentalize the grocery list  into categories such as produce, frozen, meats, dairy, etc. this saves a lot of time because I am not walking from one side of the store to the other.  My husband and I also use the app "Wunderlist" when we go grocery shopping together. We split up in the store and mark off the items as we get them, that is another time saver. But a major time saver I found just this week is grocery pick up!  I made my meal plan, sat down with my phone, shopped online, and picked up my groceries at the store. Someone else picked up what I needed and brought the items to my car. That saved me a good hour and half!

• Reduces Questions - what is the one question every parent hears on a daily basis?  "What's for dinner?" My children know the menu is located on the fridge and they know each day what is for dinner. It greatly reduces the repetitive question!

•Saves Some Sanity - besides each thing mentioned above, meal planning saves my sanity because I know what to expect!  I know what we will eat each night and I can usually plan my day right so dinner is ready by the time my husband gets home from work. I can have most of the legwork done before I pick up my kids from school. It is a true sanity saver.

A key I have found in menu planning is to not compare your menu to others.  I share my meal plan on social media to encourage other parents to meal plan, but also to get ideas for my menu. It is pretty easy to look at someone else's menu and think their menu is so much better than yours, but that should never be a thought that goes past the frontal lobe of your brain. Each family has their own dynamics in everything and that includes meals!  When you make your menu, be proud!  Be proud because you're providing an amazing service to your family and to yourself!

If you don't already plan your meals, you may be wondering where to start.

First, find out what method of planning works for you. I love using a chalkboard for my menu. Others use apps on their phones or planners. Find what works best for you and use it!  It may take a few months to figure out what works for you, and that's okay.

Second, consider what your family prefers. Two of my children hate spaghetti and two love spicy food. One hates vegetables and one asks for vegetables. Like everything else in parenting, meals are trial and error. Think about what your family prefers and make your menu based on those.

Third, find recipes!  I use Pinterest to find recipes. A few girlfriends and I have a shared board we share recipes on; I also ask other parents what they make. A few girlfriends and I get together once a week, we make a meal trying different recipes. It is a lot of fun and we get to experiment with what other households are cooking. It definitely takes you out of any box you're in.

Finally, follow through. Get the recipes. Make your menu. And cook your dinner!

If you're overwhelmed right now, that's okay. It seems like a lot but once it gets to be a routine you will really enjoy it.

A huge tip before I sign off - use your menu as a guide. It is not set in stone. If you have cabbage soup set for Tuesday and leftovers for Wednesday, it is okay to switch it up. If you really aren't feeling what is on the menu, make sandwiches (or frozen pizza).

This week make it a goal to plan your meals!  A goal without a plan is just a wish...so plan to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment